Sunday, January 20, 2013

COMPASS Model of School Change

I work with lots of principals and teachers on ways to improve their school. Often they're looking for the one tool or strategy that will make their school better. But I've grown to appreciate that school improvement is far more complex and involves an integrated set of strategies. Because I'm always looking for a good metaphor to share with groups a colleague, Barbara Blackburn, and I developed The COMPASS Model. We like the idea of a compass because it is a very useful tool. It can guide and direct us. It can help us get back on track if we're lost and it always points toward true north.

Our model includes seven components.

C - Creating a Positive and Supportive Culture
O - Ownership and Shared Vision
M - Managing Data
P - Professional Development
A - Advocacy
S - Shared Accountability
S - Structures and Organization

In posts over the next few weeks I'll explore each of the seven components in more detail. You can learn more about The COMPASS Model by watching this short video I prepared for one of my classes and by reading Rigorous Schools and Classrooms: Leading the Way available from Eye on Education. We also wrote a companion book Rigor in Your School: A Toolkit for Leaders that shares almost one hundred tools that leaders can use to improve their school.

As always I'd enjoy hearing from you about how you work to improve your schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment